Systems Administrators’ Code of Ethics
We as professional System Administrators do hereby commit ourselves to the highest standards of ethical and professional conduct, and agree to be guided by this code of ethics, and encourage every System Administrator to do the same.
- I will maintain professional conduct in the workplace and will not allow personal feelings or beliefs to cause me to treat people unfairly or unprofessionally.
- I will be honest in my professional dealings and forthcoming about my competence and the impact of my mistakes. I will seek assistance from others when required.
- I will avoid conflicts of interest and biases whenever possible. When my advice is sought, if I have a conflict of interest or bias, I will declare it if appropriate, and recuse myself if necessary.
- I will access private information on computer systems only when it is necessary in the course of my technical duties. I will maintain and protect the confidentiality of any information to which I may have access, regardless of the method by which I came into knowledge of it.
Laws and Policies
- I will educate myself and others on relevant laws, regulations, and policies regarding the performance of my duties.
- I will communicate with management, users, and colleagues about computer matters of mutual interest. I will strive to listen to and understand the needs of all parties.
- I will strive to ensure the necessary integrity, reliability, and availability of the systems for which I am responsible.
- I will design and maintain each system in a manner to support the purpose of the system to the organization.
- I will continue to update and enhance my technical knowledge and other work-related skills. I will share my knowledge and experience with others.
Responsibility to Computing Community
- I will cooperate with the larger computing community to maintain the integrity of network and computing resources.
- As an informed professional, I will encourage the writing and adoption of relevant policies and laws consistent with these ethical principles.
- I will strive to build and maintain a safe, healthy, and productive workplace.
- I will do my best to make decisions consistent with the safety, privacy, and well-being of my community and the public, and to disclose promptly factors that might pose unexamined risks or dangers.
- I will accept and offer honest criticism of technical work as appropriate and will credit properly the contributions of others.
- I will lead by example, maintaining a high ethical standard and degree of professionalism in the performance of all my duties. I will support colleagues and co-workers in following this code of ethics.
USENIX grants permission to reproduce this Code in any format, provided that the wording is not changed in any way, that signatories USENIX, LISA, and LOPSA are included, and that no other signatory or logo is added without explicit permission from the copyright holders.